Friday, January 2, 2009

Epikidcerjumuter

(everything in this blog in one word)

Happy New Year! I just thought I'd post some updates:

We saw the Body Worlds exhibit with my family and it was pretty cool. I really became fond of the epiglottis, a little feature in the throat that closes off the windpipe when you eat, drink, or just swallow. It looks cool and it performs a thankless yet important job. I suggest a moment to consider our epiglotti and appreciate them: {insert moment here} I also thought the fetal development section was quite educational and awesome. Oh, and the vertical slices of the obese person was super interesting and made me carefully think about my lunch choice later that day. Which was delicious, by the way. (Something from the Red Iguana...I can't remember the name.)

Jason passed his kidney stone at 4:44 a.m. on Christmas morning. He was too excited to sleep after that and so he woke me up (he'll tell you he didn't, but why else was I awake?) He named it Jesus (hey-seuss, the Hispanic pronunciation) which seems fitting since it was born on Christmas Day. While all of you were most likely sleeping, Jason and I were awake discussing names for his kidney stone and whether or not those names were controversial and inappropriate. Anyway, he feels much better and keeps his stone in an empty medicine bottle padded with a bit of toilet paper. He'll gladly take it out and show you if you're interested. It has a dragon spike on one side.

Size comparison with common household items.
Yes, I know it's upside-down, but try not to worry about it.

Just in case you didn't believe me about the dragon spike.

Addie has started eating rice cereal. She seems to like it, especially in her hair. She makes me laugh with her silliness. She likes to straighten her legs, cross her ankles and point her toes after a furious bout of kicking...like it's the ending pose to her dance. She also prefers to talk inward instead of outward. (According to Jack Black,this skill means she can rock twice as hard!) She sucks in while making sounds which then causes her to cough a lot. She got a Johnny Jump Up for Christmas from my parents and she loves it! She spins around, jumps crazily, and/or just hangs there and sucks on the harness.

Cereal face. Cereal ears, too, but you can't quite see those.

Addie's first balloon. She played with this thing for hours...don't worry, she was under close supervision. What kind of a mom do you think I am? Thanks, Kim and Milo for the balloon!

Addie just getting some jumps out.

I am typing this on my new computer (thank you, Jason and thank you, Shovelnub). It was my Christmas gift from Jason and I was very surprised and pleased. Guess what it can do? Read pictures off of my camera so I can put them directly on this computer and on this blog! Yay! So gone are the days of yesteryear when I could only post photos in one huge heap and long after the event has taken place. To prove it, I will post a picture I have taken this very hour:

I took this photo of me typing this on my new computer just a few minutes ago. Ta-da!

All in all, we had a really great holiday season, although we did greatly miss Jason's family. We feel special that we got to spend time with so many friends, too! Lucky us...

6 comments:

Julie said...

Life is good for the Utley's--awesome new computer, kidney stone gone, happy baby. She's so cute. I liked the picture w/ the balloon--brought back memorie of Kason's first balloon. He loved it so much too and played for hours holding it and licking it.

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Hi, I am Heather from your book group. I just wanted to let you know that I posted the book for January and hope that you will join in! OOOH and I feel for your hubby-- kidney stones are the worst! That is a pretty huge one!

Tones Bones said...

I too, have a special place in my heart for the epoglotis! Since this is the organ(?) that makes the flapping noise we hear with burps! Flapping noise, you ask? Yes, and don't take my word for it. Record a burp on your computer, slow that baby down, and you'll hear that epiglotis in action. Not that I'd ever do that...

Walker Babble said...

hahahaah Tyler! it was fun to see you Jay, Andrea, Atti, and of course Jesus we'd never forget you ^^

Melenie said...

Jesus is nasty looking!
I see that Addie is 6 months old today! Happy 1/2 birthday Addie!

We do need to get together. I tend to hibernate in the winter. Adam's b-day is next month, consider yourself invited!

Zach said...

"Verbirt" was the word verification to leave a comment for today. I think if you ever need to name something such as a kidney stone you should go to somebody's comment page and look at the word verification words.
Shovelnub came to your house for Christmas?!! Man, I hear he's like the next Santa Claus, but better!