Monday, October 6, 2008

Snot, Salt, and Dirty Bloodsuckers

We are all currently sick at our house, even little Addie. Its so sad when babies are sick! She has a stuffy little nose and a cute but sad little cough. We have to suction her nose out so she can breathe. She used to think it was funny, but I think her nose is getting a little sore so now she cries and tries to avoid the bulb...causing us to poke her in the face when we're trying to get it in her nose. I just posted a thingy at the bottom of our blog that keeps track of her age because, sadly, I keep forgetting how old she is. Isn't it terrible that she's been alive all of three months and I already can't keep track of how old she is? So, I put that on our blog pretty much just for me.

We went to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake on Free State Park Day and it was a blast! We invited so many people to come with us, but it ended up just being us three because no one else could come. Suckers. We saw some buffalo (and got some exciting footage of them scratching themselves on large rocks) and we went in the lake. We took turns holding Addie and swimming since we didn't want to put her in the lake (imagine how some salt would feel in a diaper rash!). We did dangle her toes in the water though, although she really couldn't have cared less. There were a lot of brine shrimp (as usual) and I hate finding them in my swimsuit later. Did you know that you can float in just one foot of water there? We got nice and salt encrusted and gave ourselves awesome salt mohawks (you just dip your hair in, shape it, and let it dry in one crusty 'do)...I was hoping our sparkly salt crusts would act as armor and deter bugs from biting us, but it didn't. The mosquitoes started to aggressively attack us on the 1/2 mile walk back to the car. We protected Addie like the Holy Grail. They were so bad that we just jumped into the car without showering, leaving salt all over the seats. The war didn't end there. Mosquitoes had followed us in and we had to smash them all to save ourselves from otherwise inevitable death. We drove to a safe spot and got out to examine our battle wounds and to put the baby in her carseat (we had to get out of there as fast as humanly possible...no time for baby-strapping). Addie had no bites, Jason had eight, and I had nine all on one leg. We saw one of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen and a rabbit. We checked out a few more buffalo and antelope on our way out. We stopped at Carl's Jr. for some burgers and headed home to eat, shower, and watch a movie. It was truly fun and truly memorable. I'll post photos on the next Grand Photo Post.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Andrea, I think this is "poop sisters" thing is quite the special bond we share. Who else could understand but another mother?

I enjoyed this post, especially the part about protecting Addie like the holy grail. That made me laugh. Do you think that things are starting to get easier now that she's hit the 3 month mark? it definately got easier for me in all aspects (sleep, feeding, crying, etc) around that time.

I can't wait to see what she'll be for halloween!

Robyn said...

P.S. As if we didn't already have enough in common with the poop episode happening on the same day, we just got over the same sickness it sounds like you are having, all three of us. And I have never heard Lincoln scream as angrily as when I used the bulb on him. I can't believe Addie would laugh at it!

Zach said...

Truth be known (and perhaps I've shared this factoid with you before) that the wonderous floatation achieved on the waters of the Great Salt Lake is not due to the high salt content. Rather, your body is being suspended on the backs of thousands of tiny fluttering brine shrimp. Amazingly enough, the strength of a singular brine shrimp is comparable to an ant's. This means that a single brine shrimp can carry over 10 times its own body weight -- an amazing feat considering it is swimming at the same time.
Furthermore, the Lake was originally, and more aptly, named the Great Shrimp Lake. This, however, was confusing because people thought that the word "shrimp" referred to the lake's size and the rate of tourists was on a steady decline until it was decided by Jan Wethers (head of the Utah Parks and Tourist Committee, 1957) that the name be officially revised to its current title of the Great Salt Lake.